Thursday, March 17, 2011

Stagecoach - Unforgiven - True Grit


Stagecoach vs. True Grit
True Grit falls into the traditional western genre, which is includes films such as Stagecoach for a few reasons. I first thought that it fit into the traditional western genre because of the characters, Mattie, Rooster, and LaBouef. These three people, who you expect would never usually choose eachother as travel partners, set off on a classic chase story, out to seek revenge. The good guys vs. the bad guys, and the seeking revenge and justice. Mattie is seen as the peace keeper between Rooster and LaBouef. The town that the film starts in also, I feel fits the very traditional town that is seen in westerns, as well as the beautiful scenery along their journey.

Also, the overall look of True Grit seems to be very traditional western, lots of browns and earth tones used, and the costuming was wonderful. Although, the music and the lighting was much different in Stagecoach, unlike Stagecoach, True Grit had more modern music I think, and the lighting was very dark and contrasting at times, and light and flat at others. While in Stagecoach, the classic black and white had a much more western feel I personally think. The music in True Girt seemed much more modern while Stagecoach had that real classic music, that just perfectly fits when you think of a western film.

Overall, when I think about True Grit and Stagecoach, I really can't think of too many similarities. Also, I am surprised to say this, but I think I would say I enjoyed Stagecoach better. For some reason, there was something so unsatisfying about True Grit, there was so much hype around it, and then I just think it fell flat. While Stagecoach had this great action and intensity about it, and it kept things so interesting and you couldn't help but connect with all of the characters, which is not the case for True Grit.


Unforgiven vs. True Grit

True Grit also fits in the revisionist western genre, with films such as Unforgiven for multiple reasons. I first thought this because Mattie, who is a young female, is the main character and the heroin of the film, which is not common in traditional westerns. Both films include three main characters that set off on a journey to seek justice, and I would say that I liked the characters in Unforgiven, far better. Mattie, the main character of True Grit has a sense of youth and passion for what she wants. Will Munny, the main character of Unforgiven has a sense of wisdom, he is far older, and is far more interesting to watch.

The settings in these two films are extremly similar, absolute beauty surrounds the main characters on their journey. Large open fields and beautiful mountains along the way. These elements of these films fit into the traditional western genre. The lighting in True Grit was far lighter and with less contrast than in Unforgiven. The dark and contrasty lighting in Unforgiven really led to some interesting effects, and added to some of the characters personalities.

For some reason in True Grit I really could not connect with the characters in anyway, whereas in Unforgiven I really connected with the characters and actually cared about their outcome. But for some reason, as I watched True Grit, I just didn't care. Yes, Hailee Steinfeld did a great job, but I didn't like her character, and as the movie continued on, I cared less and less about how she ended up.

Overall, I found myself far more interested in Unforgiven than in True Grit. Unforgiven has this incredible edge to it, that makes it far more interesting to watch. Will Munny and all of the characters in the story were incredible, and you connect with them on many different levels. So I'd pick Unforgiven over True Grit anyday.

TRUE GRIT: Revisionist or Classic Western?

I would have to say that I think True Grit is a little bit of both. I thought about this for a long time and tried to decide which one it would, and I thought to myself it had to be a little bit more of one of them, but I just couldn't decide. I THINK I would probably say it is more classic western, but still it is hard for me to decide.

Some reasons that I thought True Grit fit into the classic western genre were because;
1) the setting- really fits that classic western genre with the beautiful scenery.
2) the plot- the journey to seek revenge and justice, also fits the classic western genre.
3) the conflicts amongst characters- the conflict between Mattie and Cheney and the tension that they feel around eachother, and the revenge that Mattie seeks with him, also fits into the classic western.
4) the conflict- the conflict between the "good guys" and the "bad guys" was very much a classic western characteristic, especially when they have a shoot off.

Some reasons that I thught True Grit fit into the revisionist western genre were because;
1) Mattie- the main character is a young female, who is the heroin of the story. In most classic westerns the main character is a main, and he is usually not nearly as youthful as Mattie.
2) the music- for some reason after watching Stagecoach, I found that the music in True Grit struck me much more as being modern and not that classic western feel like Stagecoach.

Usually when directors Joel and Ethan Coen make a film that belongs to a distinct genre the results are very reflexive and can be quite different than what people may expect. I think it surprised people that the Coen brothers did stay pretty close with the traditional western genre. I think they added a revisionist twist to the film though to try and make the film more modern, and to add something new to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment